Alvord Volunteer Fire Department was established in 1951 by Robert McDonald, Tom Clower, Ben Fox, Willard Howell and several other community members. In that 70 years the department has seen a lot of changes including apparatus, equipment, members and an increase in coverage area. Interesting fact: our current member of the longest standing is the son of one of the founding members. Randy McDonald has served this community on the Fire Department for over 50 years.
The coverage area of the Fire Department is 125 square miles and includes most of the Lyndon B Johnson Grasslands. We are an all-volunteer department. We currently have 17 members. The officers of the department are: Chief- Sam Hahn, Assistant Chief- Coley Frye, and Captain- Heather Redder.